October is Cyber Security Awareness Month, in accordance with the 16th consecutive year of the Department of Homeland Security's (DHS) annual campaign. The goal of the initiative is to raise awareness about the importance of cyber security.
Did You Know? (From the 2019 Verizon Data Breach Investigations Report)
- C-level executives are 12 times more likely to be targeted by social engineering campaigns.
- Ransomware attacks are still going strong and remain a valid threat to all industries.
- Mobile users are more susceptible to phishing attacks, likely due to their user interfaces, among other factors.
- In 2019, 43% of cyber breaches involved small businesses.
Action Item Reminders:
- Implement cyber security awareness training and associated programs to measure effectiveness.
- Implement network vulnerability scans to identify security holes that a hacker could potentially exploit.
- Back up your data and verify the completeness and accuracy of individual backups.
- Implement vendor-supplied updates on both your hardware and software on a timely basis.
As always, HBK Risk Advisory Services is glad to offer recommendations on your cyber security program and practices. Contact Bill Heaven at 330-758-8613; or via email at email@example.com. HBK is here to answer your questions and discuss your concerns.